PUP.MyWebSearch,

Talk about anything here

PUP.MyWebSearch,

Postby BlueMonster » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:47 am

If you have MalwareBytes , Run Flash Scan and See if you have PUP.MyWebSearch, it goes under

different names as well I did some research on it. It's a Spy bot, of sorts. Some say it's harmless others say it can cause system Falure, ei; Black

Screens, Blue Screens and ERROR MESSAGES from HELL :evil: I saw it quarantined it right away, you have too, it just keeps coming back like

a Crack Dealer :D

So check your systems for it, problem is it will not show up under any search Engine that I'm aware of, so you might have to Google "How to find

PUP.MyWebSearh", etc.

BEST OF LUCK!!

Blue :mrgreen:

I know one thing it tags along applications you might have installed, in which case Sys Restore would fix it hopefully!!
ImageImageImageImage
BlueMonster

Re: PUP.MyWebSearch,

Postby Mr. Chris » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:14 am

Maximum PC magazine recommends running "Super Anti Spyware" for hard to get rid of stuff like this.

I ran Malwarebytes and it came up clean. Guess I could run Avast! altho it usually pops up with a warning even if I'm just browsing the net. Plus, I tend to stay away from those blue kinda places. :lol:
1) Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3, Phenom II 970, 8Gb G Skill Sniper 1866, EVGA GTX670 2Gb, 2x 500Gb SATA II, DVDRW, Audigy 2 ZS w/ daniel_k drivers, Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit RTM
2) Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 , Phenom II 955, 4Gb G Skill 1600, EVGA GTX 560Ti, 280Gb Seagate SATA II, crappy DVD drive (but it works, LOL) Win 7 Ult. 64 bit
3) AX78, A64 3200, 4Gb DDR2, awaiting new video card, 120Gb WD Black SATA II, DVD ROM, Win 7 Ult. 64 bit.

Proud volunteer on the Battleship Iowa
Mr. Chris
Site Admin

Postby BlueMonster » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:39 am

Mr. Chris wrote:Maximum PC magazine recommends running "Super Anti Spyware" for hard to get rid of stuff like this.

I ran Malwarebytes and it came up clean. Guess I could run Avast! altho it usually pops up with a warning even if I'm just browsing the net. Plus, I tend to stay away from those blue kinda places. :lol:

Yeah I had Super Anti SpyWare for a while, do you keep Malwarebyte's up yo date? Did you use Flash Scan!!??

Super Anti Spyware is a good app, some ads is all, update to paid version crap, otherwise it's excellent!! :mrgreen:

SUPERGEEK!!

Blue :?:
ImageImageImageImage
BlueMonster

Postby Hawk » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:55 am

I updated to the paid version of SuperAntiSpyware and when the paid license ran out, I could no longer run the free version, so I uninstalled it.

I'll have to run Malwarebytes and SpyBot and see what I come up with. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit 1: I just ran Malwarebytes and SpyBot and came up clean. Since I use the free version of Malwarebytes I can't run the Flash Scan, but I doubt I have any of that garbage on my system. I'm extremely careful when surfing. I use Firefox with NoScript, Ad Blocker, Ghostery, and a few other add-ons, plus I never install anything unless I actively pursue it and even then I research an app before I install it, plus I always read every page of an installation of anything. A lot of stuff sneaks in like that.
Hawk

Postby Greybear » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:46 pm

MyWebSearch causes issues because it hijacks the search engine results and redirects you.

Malwarebytes does find it and removes it, so do not fear.

You want to see what does get missed by alot of Virus / Scanners.....Download ComboFix put out by BleepingComputers....found anywhere else and your gonna get infected from the site. Thats how good it is.

But its a TOOL. Just for Shits and Giggles, post the First 2 sections (do not post the whole thing as it has personal info in it)
Greybear

Postby Hawk » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:06 pm

ComboFix looks like it doesn't give you a choice on what to delete so I don't believe I'll run it. I don't care for any program that automatically deletes files without first asking me if I want them deleted.
Hawk

Postby BlueMonster » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:41 pm

I'd be willing to bet everyone with a PC has PUP.MyWebSearch, on there PC or a form of it.

Then again if you do a FLASH search with Malwarebytes and it didn't come up, I'd have to

say your safe, it hangs around attached to your Memory, is why it's so hard to find, it's Nasty

shit though, Quarantine it and remove it ASAP!! Problem (major) is that it can give you a

Blue or Black screen of Death, and you'd never figure out why. Your PC will NUT UP in a word(s)

and if gone unchecked can mess up your boot sector ini files as well all kinds of EVIL stuff!! :evil:

Blue

One way that might work if your anti malware/spyware app doesn't do the trick is find out which

program you most recently installed then uninstalled, and re install again and run MS add/remove to

completely uninstall everything, or try System Restore ;) I read all this on line BTW...
ImageImageImageImage
BlueMonster

Postby Greybear » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:24 am

Hawk wrote:ComboFix looks like it doesn't give you a choice on what to delete so I don't believe I'll run it. I don't care for any program that automatically deletes files without first asking me if I want them deleted.

Nope it doesnt give you a choice, but trust me, its a good one. If your working on a friends infected computer, give it a try...it gets things that are hard to get off.

It has approx. 50 specific things its scanning for and their variants. So, unlike a Virus scanner, it knows exactly what it is looking for.

NEVER run System Restore on an infected computer. Unless your RESTORING to the ORIGINAL INSTALL like a new computer.

Virus scanners have to play by rules, they cannot touch the files that have been placed in the restore points. Viruses can and will so they can keep coming back. This is a great place to hide things.

What people don't realize is I do this for FREE and FUN. I love it when someone drops a computer off at my house and I find out its infected. They take them to BESTBUY and the likes and its completely wiped, all their data is lost....I take it as a challenge to save everything I can, and you'd be surprised at how greatful they can be when you do that.
Greybear

Postby BlueMonster » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:02 am

I let Microsoft Essentials take care of 90% of spyware and malware, and it does a fa-nominal job!! It's also FREE too!!

No Paying for latest upgrade and all that happy horse shit. AVG sucks Cast Iron Balls IMHO. It was really nice at one time

however as of late it just plain SUCKS!! Again MHO only. ;) Malwarbytes I have the paid addition and it asks me before it

deletes anything. Same with MSE. You may have to did around in the program to find out how, but it's there.....Spybot I haven't ran

forever, not even installed. Which is not to say there's anything wrong with it, I just think having to many apps doing the same

thing can cause more issues then you had when we started with...CONFLICTS!! Once Malwarebytes Quarantines a spybot or what

ever, it will not, can not attach it's self to your System again. My opinion is all. Do what you feel best with. I have very good

luck with my COMBO, stay the frack away from me, method. :D

Blue

ImageImageImageImage
BlueMonster

Postby Greybear » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:14 pm

Another simple trick to try on a computer is search for a folder labeled....2.0
Greybear

Next

Return to Open Discussion